Military Academy Nominations
As a Member of Congress, Rep. Pocan has the honor of nominating outstanding young men and women from the Second District for an appointment to one of our nation’s service academies. We invite you to learn more about the unique opportunity attending a United States Service Academy provides and to apply for a nomination through Congressman Pocan's office.
Please contact Erik Schlueter in Congressman Pocan’s office at (608) 258-9800 if you have any questions or if you would like to request an information packet.
Completed application files are due by 5 p.m. on October 23, 2017 and should be mailed to:
Congressman Mark Pocan
ATTN: Erik Schlueter
10 East Doty Street, Suite 405
Madison, WI 53703
Service Academy Nominations: Frequently Asked Questions
How many service academies are there?
There are five United States Service Academies.
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, NY: http://www.usma.edu/SitePages/Home.aspx
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, MD: http://www.usna.edu/homepage.php
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, CO: http://www.usafa.af.mil/
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, NY: http://www.usmma.edu/
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London, CT: http://www.cga.edu/
(Please note that the U.S. Coast Guard Academy does not use Congressional Nominations. If you are interested in attending the Coast Guard Academy, you must apply directly with the academy.)
What is a nomination?
Nominating authorities (including Members of Congress) nominate qualified applicants who meet the service academy eligibility requirements that are established by law. A candidate may seek a nomination from each of the following nominating authorities:
- The member of the U.S. House of Representatives who represents the congressional district in which he or she resides
- Both of the U.S. Senators from his or her state
- The President of the United States (for certain candidates)
- The Vice President of the United States
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Be a United States citizen
- Reside or have legal residence in the Second Congressional District of Wisconsin
- Be unmarried, not pregnant and have no children or legal obligations to support children or dependants
- Be at least 17 years of age and not have passed their 23th birthday on July 1st of the year they will enter the academy
When should I apply to Congressman Pocan for a nomination?
We begin accepting applications on May 1st of each year. Students applying for nomination should be at least in their junior year of high school.
What is the deadline for submitting my application materials?
Completed application packets must be received in Congressman Pocan’s Madison office by 5:00 p.m. on October 23, 2017. There are no exceptions to the October 23rd deadline.
What must be included in my application packet?
The following materials must be mailed together in one packet:
- Completed and signed application form
- Current wallet-size photo
- Answers to the two essay questions
- Three letters of recommendation
- High school transcript and college transcript (if applicable)
- SAT or ACT score sheet
- Resume (1 page in length)
What happens after I submit my completed application packet?
Applicants who submit a completed application packet will be scheduled for an interview with our nomination selection panel. The interview day will be in November.
Will I only be considered for one academy?
You may request to be considered for any or all of the academies. There is a section on the application form that asks you to rank the academies in order of your preference. You will only be nominated for one academy.
Who should I ask to write my letters of recommendation?
Candidates usually request a recommendation letter from:
- Guidance Counselors
- School Principals
- Scout Leaders
Will I automatically be admitted to the academy after I receive a nomination?
No, you will be placed among a pool of applicants who are qualified for admission to the academy. The academy will make the final decision, and if selected, you will receive an offer of admission (called an appointment) directly from the academy.
If I have applied in the past for a nomination, can I apply again?
If you have applied for a nomination in the past, you may apply again as long as you still meet the age requirements. It is acceptable to submit the same recommendation letters and essay answers in multiples years, but candidates should complete a new application.