Pocan Celebrates House Passage of $18 Million in Earmarks for WI-02 Transportation Projects
WASHINGTON, D.C.— Today, U.S. Representative Mark Pocan (WI-02) announced House passage of $18 million in earmarked transportation projects for Wisconsin’s 2nd Congressional District. These projects were included in the “Investing in a New Vision for the Environment and Surface Transportation in America (INVEST in America) Act,” which seeks to revitalize America’s infrastructure.
“I am proud to have secured $18 million in critical funding to rebuild South Central Wisconsin’s transportation infrastructure,” Congressman Pocan said. “For too long, we have failed to act boldly when it comes to investing in our infrastructure, and this has left us with unsafe bridges, congested roads, failing sewer systems, and many other critical structural issues. The INVEST in America Act would also help create millions of good-paying jobs and support U.S. manufacturing, while setting our country on a path toward zero emissions in the transportation sector. This bill takes a step forward in getting us on the right track to create economic opportunity for all in the 21stcentury and beyond.”
Congressman Pocan’s surface transportation projects included in the INVEST in America Act are listed below.
- $6.275 million to reconstruct Atwood Ave. in Madison from Fair Oaks to Cottage Grove Rd. This project will reconstruct the existing roadway with pedestrian and bicycle multi-use paths and reconstruct a portion of the popular Lake Loop Bike Path.
- $2 million to replace the functionally obsolete and structurally deficient bridge over Pheasant Branch in the City of Middleton on County Highway M/Century Ave. A bike tunnel and trail improvements will be included in the project to connect the existing bike network.
- $2 million to resurface County Highway CV along the northern and western boundary of the Dane County Regional Airport and include on-road bike facilities and replace drainage structures.
- $2 million to resurface and widen County Highway CC in the Town and Village of Oregon which will enable on-road bike lanes. Curbs, gutters, and ditches in areas within the Village of Oregon would also be improved.
- $2 million to resurface and widen County Highway P and improve on-road bike lanes. Replacing and/or widening drainage structures would also occur, and curbs and gutters will replace ditches in areas within the unincorporated Village of Klevenville. The Military Ridge Trail Cross would also be improved.
- $2 million to repair 6.56 miles of deteriorating pavement on US 14 between Spring Green and Madison.
- $1.6 million to convert the existing WIS 23/WIS 136 intersection in Reedsburg into a single lane roundabout in response to multiple fatal crashes that have occurred at the intersection over the last four years. Wisconsin roundabouts have been demonstrated to reduce the number of crashes resulting in death or injury by more than half.
- $125,000 to resurface Highway 033 in Reedsburg from Preston Ave. to State Highway 023.
See Congressman Pocan’s initial letter to the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure requesting these projects here.
Full bill text listing each project can be found on pages 177 to 179 here.