Déjà vu: Pocan Adds 38th Action House Should Take Instead of Voting on 38th ACA Repeal
Washington– Just two months after the House’s last vote to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the chamber will once again waste time that could be spent on creating jobs and supporting middle class families by voting today for the 38th time to roll back health care security for millions of Americans.
In response, U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan (WI-02) has added one more item to his list of actions the House could take up instead of these partisan and futile efforts: Fully fund SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), which provides a vital lifeline to 800,000 Wisconsinites and more than 20 million hungry children nationwide. Last week, House Republicans pushed through a partisan and incomplete Farm Bill that went against precedent and separated nutrition assistance funding from the agricultural provisions of the bill, putting the food stamp program at risk.
“It’s been just two months, but we are once again wasting time on the obstructionist partisan objectives of the House Republican leadership that could be spent on creating jobs, tackling the college affordability crisis, passing a budget, or providing vital food assistance to 800,000 Wisconsinites. Unless leadership can get its priorities in order, this Congress will continue to be seen as the most ineffectual in history. I’ve said it before and I will say it again—the people of Wisconsin deserve better.”
Hundreds of thousands of Wisconsinites in the Second District are already benefitting from the ACA. Approximately 229,000 individuals—including 46,000 children and 93,000 women—now have health insurance that covers preventive services without any co-pays, coinsurance, or deductible. For more info on how the ACA is impacting south central Wisconsin, click here.
Below is a list of 38 bills and action items the House should be working on instead of a 38th vote to repeal the Affordable Care Act:
- Eliminate the Sequester
- Appoint Budget Conferees to Pass National Budget
- Keep Student Loan Interest Rates from Doubling
- Paycheck Fairness Act
- Mandatory Background Checks for Gun Purchases
- Pass Comprehensive Immigration Reform
- DISCLOSE Act – requires disclosure of political expenditures by corporations and lobbying groups
- BE SAFE Act – Strengthens Military Sexual Assault Enforcement
- Address the Veterans Affairs Claims Backlog
- Put America Back to Work Now Act
- Pass Comprehensive Farm Bill
- Invest in American Jobs – Strengthen Buy American Requirements for Investments in Infrastructure Projects
- Employment Non-Discrimination Act –Prohibits employment discrimination based on perceived or actual sexual orientation or gender identity
- Paying a Fair Share Act –Codifies the Buffett Rule, requiring a 30% minimum effective tax rate for taxpayers with incomes over $1 million
- Reauthorize the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA)
- Reauthorize the Higher Education Act (HEA)
- Building our Clean Energy Future Now Act – provides grants for public transportation projects to reduce emissions without raising prices or cutting services.
- Small Business Paperwork Relief Act
- Military Spouses Equal Treatment Act – Allows same-sex partners of military couples the same benefits as heterosexual partners
- Student Non-Discrimination Act – Prohibits discrimination or bullying of students based on perceived or actual sexual orientation or gender identity
- Fair Minimum Wage Act
- Postal Service Protection Act
- Make it in America Manufacturing Act of 2013 -- Provides competitive grants for public-private partnerships to promote American manufacturing.
- Increases benefits to Veterans to keep up with cost-of-living changes
- GI Bill Tuition Assistance
- Bring Jobs Home Act – Eliminates tax deductions for expenses of companies moving jobs overseas, and provides a new tax credit for companies bringing jobs back to America.
- Child Tax Credit Permanency Act
- Safe Schools Improvement Act – Requires local educational agencies to establish policies that prohibit bullying and prevent hostile learning environments.
- Healthy Families Act
- Family and Medical Leave Inclusion Act
- Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act
- Water Resources Development Act
- End Big Oil Subsidies Act
- BREATHE Act
- Taxpayer and Gas Price Relief Act
- Excellence in Mental Health Act
- Respect for Marriage Act
- Fully fund SNAP